- Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Undergraduate Advising
- Majors, Minors, Degrees & Course Guides
- Transfer Evaluation
- Tutoring and Student Resources
- Undergraduate Research
- Getting Started in Research
- Academic Credit
- Senior Capstone/Thesis
- Presenting Your Research
- Frontiers in Science
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Student Adventures in Research and Studying Abroad
- Poster Fair: Undergraduate Research and Senior Thesis Presentations
- Getting Connected
- Scholarships and Funding
- Awards, Recognition, and Highlights
- Graduation and Beyond
- Get Admitted to Medical School
- Jobs and Careers
Catalyst Peer Mentors
How to Become a Catalyst Peer Mentor
Looking for an interesting service organization?
Do you have a desire to help students that are new to Chemistry and Biochemistry?
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry recruits upper-classmen to serve as peer mentors each fall to assist incoming freshmen during their first semester at the University of Arizona. We seek students who are willing to volunteer as peer mentors to:
- share their experience and wisdom as University of Arizona Chemistry students,
- provide a listening ear to incoming Freshmen,
- properly refer new students to campus resources, and to, and
- facilitate new student involvement in clubs, undergraduate research, seminars, helpful courses, and other activities that will add value to their education.
As a Catalyst Peer Mentor, you will take part in a short training meeting to learn about your role as a mentor and what to expect over the semester. You will attend a kick-off party at the beginning of the year to meet your mentees (up to 2 or 3) and start to get to know them. And over the semester, you will have opportunities to socialize with them and include them in the cool things you do at UA. You can expect to attend regular monthly meetings (or as needed) with the Department and perhaps enjoy some social time with faculty and other peer mentors in the program as part of organized activities or field trips.
The eligibility criteria to become a Catalyst peer mentor are as follows:
- Be a Junior or Senior CBC undergraduate at start of the fall term (with consideration given to some exceptional Sophomores)
- Be completely through your second year of the program
- Be in good academic standing
- Be outgoing, involved in campus life, and research active (or have a desire to be)
- Submit a short application in person or by email. Online application is coming soon. Application deadline is August 1st each year.