- Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Undergraduate Advising
- Majors, Minors, Degrees & Course Guides
- Transfer Evaluation
- Tutoring and Student Resources
- Undergraduate Research
- Getting Started in Research
- Academic Credit
- Senior Capstone/Thesis
- Presenting Your Research
- Frontiers in Science
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Student Adventures in Research and Studying Abroad
- Poster Fair: Undergraduate Research and Senior Thesis Presentations
- Getting Connected
- Scholarships and Funding
- Awards, Recognition, and Highlights
- Graduation and Beyond
- Get Admitted to Medical School
- Jobs and Careers
Outstanding Senior Award
Every fall and spring semester, Chemistry & Biochemistry selects a graduating senior to receive the Outstanding Graduating Senior award.
Candidates for this award excel in their studies, as evidenced by having a GPA of 3.5 or better, are involved in research, and are recognized as a leader within the campus or the larger community. The balance between these different aspects will vary, but every nominee is typically strong in all three areas.
Students may self-nominate, but candidates who have strong endorsements from chemistry faculty are most strongly considered. Application details and forms are sent to qualified students.
Once the winner is chosen at the Department level, the application packet is forwarded to the College of Science for college-wide competition. At a special College reception, the Department and College award recipients are presented with their awards. Each recipient is also mentioned in the Commencement Booklet at the College of Science graduation ceremony. The student who is selected by the College of Science as "Outstanding Senior" has the honor of addressing the audience and fellow graduates at commencement!
Recent winners include:
- Troy Comi - CBC & Chemistry (Spring 2012)
- Aubri Carman - Biochemistry (Spring 2012)
- Sukeshi Mehta - CBC & Chemistry (Fall 2011)
- Amanda Davis - Biochemistry (Fall 2011)
- Beryl Magnolia Jones - EEB Outstanding Senior (May 2011)
- Sarah K. Edwards - CBC Outstanding Senior (May 2011)
- Mounir Koussa - CBC/Neuroscience Outstanding Senior (May 2011)
- Dario Pasalic - CBC & Biochemistry (May 2010)
- Zachary Urdang - Chemistry (May 2010)
- Emily Ricq - Chemistry, also chosen as the College of Science Outstanding Senior (Fall 2009)
- Natalie Pace - Biochemistry (Fall 2009)
- Derek Hollman (May 2009)
- Chase Thompson (May 2008)
- Aaron Finke (May 2006)
- Julia Nicole Tatum (May 2006) Also chosen as the College of Science Outstanding Senior!
- Ray Moellering (May 2005)
- Dan Ferris (December 2004)
- Luisa Gronenberg (May 2004) Also chosen as the College of Science Outstanding Senior!
- Donna Friel (December 2003) Also chosen as the College of Science Outstanding Senior!
- Ben Fish (May 2003)
- Tara Bunag (2001-2002)
- Krista Korsgaard (2000-2001)
- Jonnie Shackman (1999-2000)
- Omar Khan (1998-1999)
- Michael Clarke (May 1998)
- Nathan Stott (December 1997)
- Jason Churma (1996-1997)
- Kenneth Osorio (1987-1988)